GUMMIES, 5min,. USA
Directed by Renetta G. Amador
A tomboy transforms the gender trappings of her room to show her cruel mother how sugar and spice don’t equal nice.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
After I graduated college I worked as a Program Director for a GLBTQI++ organization working with teens from 12 - 19 who were struggling with their sexual identity. I met the writer of Gummies through a film festival that my first short film was in. When I read his script, I thought of all the people I worked with, the people I was friends and family with, that in some way or another had been constantly put into a box they didn't want to be in. I knew I had to make this short and show the consequences of this.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Money! Always. Money,
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The only words I can use to describe my reactions are "blown away." I was blown away by all their amazing feedback and overwhelmed with so much happiness that I was able to create a film that they understood and loved.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I've always loved movies. And 23 yrs ago, I gave up everything to move to LA and try to be in the industry. It worked out. I have been a Script Supervisor for all of those 23 years. In the last 4 years I have realized I have my own stories to tell and I am excited to be transitioning into directing!
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Overall I have found most festival experiences very positive. I have made friends and collaborator's that I feel will be in my life forever. I have been inspired by so many and I cherish the connections I have made through them. If I wanted/needed anything, it would be to have panels where we could meet producers, agents, managers who might could helps us on our journey.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I have had a very positive experience with FilmFreeway. It makes it so much easier having everything on one platform!
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
We are writing the feature film version of Gummies and hope to be able to find the financing to shoot that!