ANIMA #1 short film, audience reactions (director interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 6m 32s
ANIMA #1, 3min., Portugal, Animation
Directed by Vasco Diogo
This experimental and abstract animation reflects upon the invasion of Ukraine by Russia, following the structure of an hip-hop song and mixing plenty of digital hand-painted techniques.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
After completing a long series of experimental animations called Paint On Paint # 1-8, where in which one of the individual films I imposed myself the rule of only using a limited kind of digital paint, brush or technique, in this one I open the experimentation process to include a great mixture of digital techniques emulating analog ink and brushes. Also, I started this series as an opportunity to develop my own work on sound and music and to learn more about that field. Finally I wanted to do an abstract film with a political message concerning the invasion of Ukraine by Russia as I focused on the colors blue, yellow and red.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me two months and a half to make this film (a lot of drawing).
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Having the energy, the focus and the motivation to draw many hours a day till I had strength in my arm and hand.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
A film is only finished after that and those reactions become, for me, a part of the film. In experimental cinema, all interpretations are valid and welcome. I was very pleased to hear them.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
After watching Nouvelle Vague films, but my interest for experimental cinema and video art came later.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Maybe Paris-Texas by Wim Wenders.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Having more money to invite filmmakers, especially those working with low-budgets!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It's a great plattform, with some but not too much misleading festivals.
10. What is your favorite meal?
As a genuine portuguese, living in Lisbon I love sardines!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I'm working on the third film of this series and also preparing a spoken-word project.
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
IN TRANSIT short film, audience react...
IN TRANSIT, 7min., Canada,
Directed by Mill Quintero Acosta
A poetic documentary exploring the visual and auditory journey into the urge to reflect upon life when using public transit.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this fil...
THE MIRAGE short film, audience react...
THE MIRAGE, 60min., USA, Adventure
Directed by Keith Ladzinski
Ultra runner, Timothy Olson, aims to break the fastest known time on the Pacific Crest Trail. Braving record high temperatures and impending wildfires, he must outrun nature and reach the finish line before the birth of his daughter. ...
SEEK short film, audience reactions (...
SEEK, 13min., Japan, Action
Directed by Shane Kosugi, Kansuke Asano
K. Hanzo, an assassin for a covert non-governmental espionage group in Japan called "49" or "SEEK", is grieving over the loss of his girlfriend from a tragic car accident. His ex-boss, J, contacts him to do one last mission for h...