SEEK, 13min., Japan, Action
Directed by Shane Kosugi, Kansuke Asano
K. Hanzo, an assassin for a covert non-governmental espionage group in Japan called "49" or "SEEK", is grieving over the loss of his girlfriend from a tragic car accident. His ex-boss, J, contacts him to do one last mission for him; kill his ex-partner who has kidnapped a young agent and stolen some vital information which he plans to sell to the Yakuza. Although the Ninjas are gone...the new breed of assassins live on; so the Ninja lives on.
Interview with Filmmaker Shane Kosugi:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
- we all wanted to make an action short that could show the world the beauty of Japan, the wonderful lure of the samurai's and ninjas and that Japan can still make good story based action films.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
- 2 months
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
- ninja action
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
- the cold, because during the shoot it was winter in Japan
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
- Very very happy
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
- from a child
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
- action movies
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
- online events with the filmmakers who could not attend the actual event
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
- wonderful and so simple
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
- make a full length feature of "SEEK" at the end of 2023 or beginning of 2024