U=U: Undetectable, Untransmittable, and Undeniably Fierce!, 3min., USA
Directd by David Roston
Dr. MarkAlain Dery, an infectious disease physician, and Dr. Eric Griggs, a community health specialist, co-host the podcast NoiseFilter. In this episode, they are joined by Milan Nicole Sherry, a trans rights activist and educator. Milan leads the doctors inside her body to explain HIV and the science of U=U, also known Undetectable Equals Untransmittable.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We believe that U=U is an incredibly important message for all people to better understand HIV. It was also important to us to include an actual person living with HIV in the narrative to tell her story - thus educating about U=U by combining personal experience and medical accuracy.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About four months
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Weaving medical science with magical storytelling
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was so heartwarming to hear how our message was received and how much audience members enjoyed our film.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
In my teenage years
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Funny to admit this, but probably Ferris Buellar's Day Off
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Social media promotion of the film
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Easy to navigate. Would recommend.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Planning an educational animation about disease intervention specialists (DIS), and the importance of community members' role in preventing disease outbreaks.