CLOSET COMBAT EPISODE 2, 3min,. USA
Directed by Augustus Hinton
Ted, a closeted, gay high school boy, imagines literally fighting his way out of an encounter with bullies at a track meet.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wasn't seeing my experience of being in the closet represented on screen. I wanted to add something to queer media that I would have liked to have seen when I was younger. I also wanted to push my character animation craft, and used those two motivations to create the piece.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The film took roughly a year and a half to make.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Having to wear so many hats was the hardest part of production. I'm still largely a one man team, and I'm not an expert at all the disciplines required to make a film. Illustrating all of the visuals took a long time for me.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was so kind of the audience to collect and share their thoughts. I really appreciated the diversity of thought among them. Each person enjoyed something different about the film. It's so interesting and insightful to know which aspects are impactful to a viewer.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Sometime around 2018, I started going to therapy (everyone should!) and had finally put enough distance between myself and my experience of being in the closet. With lots of growth and a clearer perspective on the whole thing, I felt ready to create an animation about it.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Fellowship of the Ring, without a doubt. Charlie's Angels isn't far behind though :)
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think capturing audience reaction is a really insightful, helpful, and validating way to celebrate the films.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I think Film Freeway is easy to use. It's the only place I go to submit to festivals.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Fresh fruit and cashews in the morning for breakfast.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
There are more stories to tell about Theodore Locke. The web series Closet Combat will continue!