THE MEMORY OF THE MOMENT, 60min., Romania
Directed by Ovidiu Georgescu
An 80 years old woman, former teacher, lives alone in an isolated village in Transilvania, located on a 1200m high mountain. She’s created an important space for books, music and poetry next to her assets and the animals that live in her homestead, built over 90 years ago by her family. At the end of this journey we’ll discover a world of the past, present and future – the world of Viorica C?tuna.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
With this documentary film I intend to discover and revel my roots and my deepest and profound Romanian heritage, that, hopefully, will not disappear, at least not so soon. "The Memory of the Moment" it's my fifth documentary film from a series that I started in 2000, series that is called "My Profound Romania". I'll not stop here, this series of documentary films will go on!
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took 3 years, from 2020 to 2023.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
During these 3 years (2020 – 2023) I had to manage extremely well my time, and in the same time to make "compromises" in order to finish this documentary film. I was simultaneously involved in other film projects and I had to deal with an intense academical film activity. I'm PhD Professor at National University of Theatre and Film from Bucharest.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was impressed in a very good way! Thank you for sending it to me!
The question is if these people are related with film industry, because they are very precise and have very good points expressed. In the same time, it was amazing to see their warm attitude toward the main character of my documentary - Viorica. I was really impressed that people from so very far and from other culture can empathize with a former country side teacher, from Romania - a different culture than theirs.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
From early high school. I definitely fell in love with the film, with the idea of making film. As simple as that!
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
There are many films. Here are three examples: Kristof Kieslowski's film "Three colors - Blue", Lars von Trier's "Europa" and Ingmar Bergman's "Wild Strawberries"
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Thank you for everything! Ideally would be nice to have the possibility that as many other festival selectors to see the documentary in order for the film to reach much more other festivals. Meeting inside the festival with as many SVOD platforms selectors in order for the film to reach as many SVOD platforms (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc) as possible. And so, the documentary film can get to a large audience.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
The platform is very friendly. I like it and I'm using it for some time.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I love a traditional Romanian meal called "mici" – minced meet rolls with a lot of specific ingrediencies and spices. Or, depends in what country I am
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, 2 feature fiction films ("The Dream Weekend" - completed; "The Game of Lights" - in pre-production) and a documentary film ("The Great Unknown" – work in progress). Told you: busy as a bee