ADAGIO, 14min,. USA
Directed by Tianyang Colin Zhang
A hallucinated young woman suffers from depression and distance and develops an alternate reality.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
It was inspired by an emotional episode I experienced. And as a filmmaker, making films is my best way of expression. Part of me wanted to make this film a closure of that piece of memory. But as I started to work on this project, it became so much more.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
It was the location. Money has always been a problem is filmmaking, and as a student, it becomes even harder. Location shooting is extremely expensive. And it was so hard to balance between the cost and quality. The exterior scenes were literally free, but the scenes in the bistro and house cost me a lot.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
To be honest, I am a little surprised seeing people enjoyed and actually understood what the story was about and what I had to say. Because when I showed it to my family and other relatives, many of them had literally no idea what I was doing lol. I am also glad my efforts paid off, especially in the lighting, photography, color grading, and poetic narration.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I learned a theory called "auteurism" when studying film history in college. And I was totally attracted by it. I thought it was so cool to have your own signature in your film and eventually screen it on a big screen.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Interstellar. I believe it is one of the best example of the combination of art and commerce.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
So far so good.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway is an excellent tool in searching for film festivals. I only hope it could have more categories or focuses in different genres.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Fried chicken wings.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes. I'm currently working on my new project. It's also psychological, and it'll be about amnesia and searching.