'The Legend of the Mermaid Tree’ is a romance period piece bridging the past to the present on St. Simons Island. Joshua, a goal driven analyst, finally gets the opportunity for a promotion, but has to return to the island after hearing of his grandfather's untimely death. As he packs his grandfather’s belongings, he comes across a journal and a map that details a love story with a mysterious woman, Colleen. After seeking help from a local waitress, Joshua will have to reevaluate his desire in life. A goal or a home.
Narrator: Hannah Ehman
Michael: Steve Rizzo
Joshua: Allan Michael
Madalyn's Voice: Kyana Teresa
As a child, I would ride my bike to each mermaid tree on the island and study the intricate artwork of each folklore carved within the tree. Once I left for the mainland, I, often, look back upon these stories that created such a magical platform that has carried into my passion for film and story telling.
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
After his grandfather passed away, Joshua discovers his old journal that leads him on a romantic adventure of his grandfather's first love.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
This screenplay should be made into a movie because the world needs to be reminded that there is romance and compassion. I feel we often find ourselves too preoccupied with our own lives that we don't take a step back and evaluate what's good and not good for us. I think Joshua is a great character on screen who can be a role model in choosing to live in the moment and embrace romance rather than be boggled down by a job or stress that won't even matter at the end of the day.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Princess Bride
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
10 or more.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Hallelujah- Brandi Carlisle
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I started the script during the pandemic so I would say not having a job to fund it.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I'm passionate about producing content and telling other stories. For example, I created content for the Alternative Baseball League where children on the spectrum and off the spectrum can play in a judgement free zone of baseball. Within 4 months, they were on ESPN, and within 6 months, they were on The Today Show.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
It has been pretty positive as I submitted my short film through there and selected at a few festivals.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
The name of the festival and its goals is what influenced me to enter into the festival. I don't think I received any feedback. Did I miss that part? I will say that I wish the script reading was a more in depth or pivotal scene rather than reading the first 2 scenes that are there. I feel like there were better scenes to read, but I am appreciative no matter what.