THE KARENS, 8min. USA, Comedy
Directed by Katie Goodman
Welcome to the support group for people named Karen. Believe it or not, there are some people out there who are named Karen. That’s their actual name. People who must walk through their days knowing the very name their parents gave them is now an insult. This film is for them.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I just fell in love with my husband Soren Kisiel's script when we did it live last year. I new it would work as a film. I also found my DP and he was massively inspiring. And my cast. I knew how fun it would be. They are just so brilliant. I giggled like a crazy person over and over during editing even after watching the same take 5 times.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
6 months? My husband wrote it last spring for a live theatre tour of our satirical show "Broad Comedy". I started planning with a DP over last summer, and we shot it in one 8-hour day on September 1st. Then it took about a week of editing and color correcting. So. Much. Color-correcting. :)
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
The Karens. Pretty self-explanatory title I guess! :)
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Color-correcting. Did I mention color-correcting???
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Relief! :) We were so thrilled they all loved it. Everyone was so eloquent when talking about their reactions. They just totally got it and expressed the complexities of the issues well.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
In college I made some on Super-8 believe it or not. But I fell in love with the medium a few years later when we started making "Broad Comedy" music videos.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
It's a Wonderful Life?? Ack. That's just because my father-in-law insists every Christmas! :)
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Anything in person where we all chat with each other. Good golly ANYTHING IN PERSON. :) It's been a looooooong pandemic.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Absolutely fabulous. It's like Instacart for your creative career. You can just keep going back and adding more. Easy easy easy. And fun.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Airplane snacks. Because it means I'm on tour! :)
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yep! Looking for a producer for my new comedy series. Also looking for production companies who would collaborate on feminist feisty comedies with us.