SURVIVAL, 6min., UK
Directed by Qian Zhou
The year 2022, which has just passed, was a tough year for the world, and it was also a challenging year for the UK. The energy crisis caused by the Russia-Ukraine war, the following economic crisis, the pound's fall, global warming... All of this affects everyone in the world.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I made this film because I saw what was happening in 2022 internationally and in the UK, where I live. Energy crisis, inflation, global warming, and so on. At first I wanted to make a documentary about the impact of the crisis, and my producer came across a charity in Bournemouth that was sending free food and clothing to homeless people every weekend. Through my participation in the charity organization as a volunteer to serve people in need, I met a lot of different people and heard different stories. But what made me respect and surprise the most was Andy, the initiator of the charity organization and our protagonist. Therefore, I decided to make a documentary about Andy and tell the audience what a special year 2022 is through his eyes.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From idea to finished product, we spent half a year. In the first 3-4 months, I spent time volunteering on weekends to get in touch with this organization and Andy, and we became good friends. After I got to know him and his organization better, we started shooting.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Get the charity people to trust us, building trust is hard.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
They read the message I was trying to send
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I have a strong desire to speak, to express my worldview
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
10. What is your favourite meal?
Turkish food for now
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am preparing a 10-minute short film, a story of a Turkish boy who had to leave his hometown for some reasons and tried to settle down in UK but failed. After the earthquake happened in Turkey, his family also suffered misfortune. He finally chose to give up in the UK and return to his hometown, but it was too late.