LAWLA, 4min., Belgium, Musical Animation
Directed by Guillaume Simonin
Music Video for Alix Pilot & Ghizlane Melih
"Art is a marriage of the conscious and the unconscious."
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I started my movie training in experimental cinema, and have frequently worked with liquids/water since then. So having an entire artistic project made with liquids was definitely a motivationnal input for me.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The idea came around a year ago, while speaking with the musical artist of this project whose a dear friend of mine. Then from the first day of shooting until the delivery it took 2 months of full time works (with 4 days of pause in between shoot and editing).
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Definitely to stop the shooting !!! The techniques used on this shoot results in very hypnotic and visually appealing footage. It was very difficult to decide to stop shooting as with mastering the liquids & skills every day gave better footage than the day before :D
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was very touched to realise that the feedbacks pinpointed most of my intentions in directing this project. From visual emotions to correlations with the music, I'm very glad to see the impact is as I wanted, it's very honorific
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When i was around 24. i always did photography as a hobby, and was around filmmakers, but it never got beyond the "funny hobby" stage.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I do watch a lot of movie every day. I don't really have ONE favorite movie, there are too many different styles. But I could say one that had a large impact on me was Who framed Roger Rabbit from Robert Zemeckis I saw when I was very young.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I do like a lot the audience feedback, it is quite rare to have so :)
Right now I don't have any specific idea, the imdb qualifying is usefull for smaller filmakers who might not register there film themselves.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
At the moment mostly good, I do think some festival are not responsive enough (let's say not a all sometimes), but there are so many demands it's quite obvious when you think about it...
10. What is your favorite meal?
Same as for the film, it's impossible to have just ONE favorite meal for me. Knowhing that food & cooking was my first choice of career. I stopped because of daily schedule, and decided to work in the movie industry, i'm not sure I really got a better schedule now :D
Anyway I eat a lot of Ramen and Chirashi m actually beginning to write my first feature film, hope the audience will like it as much
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I'm preparing for another videoclip with the same artist, and i'm actually beginning to write my first feature film, hope the audience will like it as much