SYNTHETIC ME, 4min., Singapore, Musical Animation
Directed by Susan Lim, Christina Teenz Tan, Samudra Kajal Saikia
An inanimate stuffed toy belonging to a teenage medical student desires a longevity in their companionship, that it may last for eternity. It is acutely conscious that as time passes, its torso has become wizened from wear and tear, and the color of its eyes faded, while the teenager has blossomed into a young adult, almost a doctor. As it is exposed to the new science of synthetic DNA in its partners curriculum, it starts to crave the building blocks required to rejuvenate its form, with a dream, desire, a plea, " will someone please make a brand new me ! " .
Interview with Filmmaker Susan Lim:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
A true desire to resuscitate and revive the fallen plushies, once so loved, then laid to waste due to wear and tear.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About 8 months
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Synthetic life !
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
There was no obstacle really; musicians, creators and animators in the team were all happily working together, to the beat of this joyful tune.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
A sense of warmth, mixed with pride and overwhelming joy describes how I felt. I wanted to immediately share this news with the team !
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I did always fantasize the possibility, and it became 'dreams to reality' for me, maybe some 7 years ago.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Home by Pixar and Avatar by James Cameron
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
You are doing such a great job, keep going, and you have our support !
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Nothing short of amazing ! The platform is a dream for filmmakers like me, starting out, it is easy to navigate, and offers an exhaustive list of film festivals to participate and be a part of.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Japanese , for the freshness of its sashimis, and the creative presentation of desserts !!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Indeed yess ! We are deep into our next film which takes the partnership of human and inanimate on a journey to space. Stay tuned , and thank you again !