GOING, 8min., USA
Directed by Carson G. Smith
Reluctant to look at the past, a young man recalls an old memory that should not be forgotten.
I am just a guy with a story to tell.
I chose animation for "Going" because it has always has felt special to me.
My hope is to inspire more storytellers to share their stories and overcome the challenges they will face.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Answer: When I graduated in 2014 I made a small short film with a few classmates. It was a failure. That failure stuck with me and I knew after a few years that I had the skill to make something good. Failure is a natural process on your way to success.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Answer: First concepts started in November 2017 and the finished product concluded in March 2022. So about 4.5 years.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Answer: Persistent Memories
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Answer: Overcoming self doubt. Doubt persists as a barrier to do things. It almost kept me from starting this project. Once I started, things flowed nicely. When road bumps occurred in the process, I often felt self doubt creep back in. I never let it stop me though. It did delay me in starting. Starting something is often times the hardest thing for an artist.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Answer: It was really good to watch this. I really appreciate hearing back about what others thought. I was really encouraged to hear most of them breakdown the story at a basic level. One of my fears was that some may not understand what is happening. This helped quell those fears.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Answer: When I started watching anime in my teens. I watched a few Studio Ghibli Films and I was enthralled by the storytelling and magical worlds. I try to emulate that magic in my own way when storytelling.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Answer: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Answer: Promotion, Q&A and feedback are the three big ones. This festival exists to do that and that is why I submitted. I am extremely grateful for this festivals existence and will suggest to friends and colleagues. .
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Answer: It's fantastic. The biggest headache is trying to manage festivals on multiple sites and submitting in different ways. It's very time consuming and huge headache. FilmFreewway streamlines the process and organizes things very well.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Answer: Chicken Aflredo
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Answer: I am not entirely sure. I have many ideas. I have a funky idea for a children's book. I can share a few details. The main character is a young farmer who fights weeds with his trusty hoe. The goal is to provide some fun action and teach a child some basics about gardening in a fun way. I also, have a fan animation that I may storyboard focused around the popular Nintendo character Captain Falcon.