BEHIND THE LOOM short film, audience reactions (interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 11m
BEHIND THE LOOM, 11min,. USA
Directed by Heejoo Kim
An experimental animated short film about the impact of war on women underscoring rape as a war crime in 1945. Told from the perspective of one family, this common yet forgotten story surrounding the Siege of Berlin.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
As a filmmaker, I am passionate about amplifying the voices of underrepresented groups, particularly women, minorities, and elders.
I wanted to shed light on hidden stories that are often forgotten or overlooked in history.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took approximately two years to complete the film.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The most significant challenge was working with limited resources to tell a story that was full of unknown details and imagery.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was deeply moved by the thoughtful and encouraging comments from the audience. It was an unforgettable experience.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
As an artist, I wanted to reach a wider audience and communicate more effectively. That's when I realized that filmmaking was the perfect medium for me.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I've always been drawn to experimental films, and Stan Brakhage's work has had a profound impact on me.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
The audience feedback video was incredibly helpful and inspiring. It would be great to see more festivals offer this type of feedback.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It was an incredibly effective platform for submitting my film to the festival.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I love anything spicy!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, I'm currently working on a film about the stories of women in Iran and their experiences with hijab.
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
HOME FRONTS short film, audience reac...
HOME FRONTS, 12min., UK
Directed by Maria Sapouna
As news of the war in Ukraine breaks, people around the world come together to show their solidarity. This film follows the story of three women in Scotland who, at the wake of the crisis, show their support for the people of Ukraine in small but ...
THE ART OF SEEING, THE ART OF REMEMBE...
THE ART OF SEEING, THE ART OF REMEMBERING, 23min., UK
Directed by Sascha Klamp
Working with two distinct Armenian communities, traditional border villages which hold up the potential resistance from its hostile neighbours, the film explores the set-up of a Community Archive with village Elders wh...
LEAP OF FAITH short film, audience re...
LEAP OF FAITH, 28min., Austria
Directed by Joel Eggimann
A bucket list goal so big that others might think you’re crazy. The stunning journey of Joel Eggimann attempting to do a flip across the gap of a remarkable pinnacle on the Lofoten Islands in Norway.