LEAP OF FAITH, 28min., Austria
Directed by Joel Eggimann
A bucket list goal so big that others might think you’re crazy. The stunning journey of Joel Eggimann attempting to do a flip across the gap of a remarkable pinnacle on the Lofoten Islands in Norway.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I have a bucket list with 100 things that I want to do before I die. Doing a flip across Svolvaergeita was one of those items. The plan first was to make a 10-minute YouTube video but as soon as we got the we noticed that this story deserves a lot more attention and should be shared in a longer documentary to give the audience more context about the process.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
We filmed it in September of 2022. Post-production started in November and we had the premiere on December 13th. The two weeks prior to that I edited long hours including sleeping at the office :)
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was amazing to hear that other people, who weren't there when the jump happened, felt the same way as we did when the action took place.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
In 2008 I started doing Parkour and with that I also started to make films and videos on YouTube because I wanted to share my progress and inspire other people to be creative too.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I'm a big fan of the secret life of Walter Mitty.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
My goal is to inspire more people to dream big and go after their bucket list. By showing my film to a wider audience more people see what's possible and hopefully more people will realise that they can achieve their dreams as well.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Super easy and very grateful to find out about all those amazing film festivals such as the Toronto Film Festival
10. What is your favorite meal?
Noodles with a loooot of vegetables
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Ticking off more of my bucket list items and share those stories on YouTube. I'd love to work with other ambitious filmmakers that would enjoy turning those bucket list stories into a compelling story or documentary.