SINS OF THE FATHER, 102min,. USA, Horror
Directed by Vanessa M. H. Powers
After the death of his father, Aden and his mother, Sarah, find themselves responsible for the sale of his family home - a place they thought they’d left behind. When Sarah’s friends arrive to help, the task seems almost manageable. However, as they clear out the house, they uncover secrets in Sarah’s past and the sinister nature of the cultivated community Aden was raised in…. And his father’s family is not so eager to let the sins of the past go unpunished.
Get to know the producer/writer Tristan Corrigan:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The Director (Vanessa M. H. Powers) and the EP/Writer (Tristan Corrigan) have known each other since high school and had talked about doing a horror film on Tristan's family farm. During COVID it was brought up that filming in an isolated area would be ideal and from there the idea and script was born.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About 2.5 years. Script was started in early 2020, filming in 2021, and festival run started in late 2022.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
COVID and travel distances. COVID made filming everything more complicated and costly. The farm was about 1 1/2 hours from most of our actors, so having to coordinate travel, housing, ETC for 100+ people was a challenge.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was overwhelmingly heart warming to hear people share their positive support for the film. Our art director was "right well chuffed" that someone liked the pitch fork after all the work she put into it.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
My grandmother gave me an ancient VHS camcorder at 12 years old, and I was hooked ever since.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Pirates of Silicon Valley - it was my watch in the background as I study and write movie in college.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
We loved getting feed back and reactions - would be great to see other festivals do so. Knowing why you succeeded or failed is something that festivals don't make clear most of the time.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Love FilmFreeway, wish the rest of post-production filmmaking was clear and easy to do.
10. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal is Combination Lo-Mien with Fried Dumplings.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Our group is already deep into pre-production on our next feature film "Silly Little Wounds", which starts filming in August 2023.