AN ANGRY BOY, 99min,. USA
Directed by Andrew Fitzgerald
Owen was kidnapped by a ruthless predator when he was younger and his repressed memories are starting to flood back. As he struggles to piece together the haunting mystery of his past, he realizes what he must do - hunt him down and make him pay.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
This was the type of movie that I felt hadn;t been made but was something I would definitely want to see. It's a mix of some funny moments and really gory kills but not over the top and in your face but more justified to help make their impact stronger on the audience. We set out to make something people could enjoy and hopefully be surprised by.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took about 4 years from start to finish. The script was being worked on while we raised the funds through Start Engine which in and of itself was a year and a half process. Pre production was about 6 months and production 2-3 months. Then it took a little over a year to make the finished product in Post.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Budget. Which I'm sure is the most common answer but it's true. IF we had a bigger budget, a lot of the issues we faced along the way could have either been avoided or not have been so stressful. But with an Indie project like this, you end up having to wear a lot of hats and just push that boulder up the mountain until you get to the top.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Nervous for sure but that quickly subsided and it then was really fun. It's scary to see what people are going to say about your movie because it could be bad news. But at the end of the day, that's what you sign up for when you make a film and when you hear people saying they enjoyed it or mention specific parts they liked it's really cool.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Movies have always been a big part of my life and I've always been enamoured by the ability they have to take you to another place and bring out different emotions. I've enjoyed entertaining and creating since I was young so I decided to go to school for film and then get into the industry to see if I could make it happen as a career.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably Creepshow 2 or Halloween. It's fun to go back and watch those and get all those nostalgia feelz.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Having an outlet for independent filmmakers is super important so you guys are doing your job already. A lot of us put so much effort into creating these and just being able to get some sort of recognition means a ton. The fact that you share the audience reactions is unique and very cool so please keep doing that.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Excellent. Film Freeway is the way to go because everything is all in one spot and makes submitting easy.
10. What is your favorite meal?
A nice steak with a loaded baked potatoe and a glass of cabernet.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Get this movie out there, show a return to our investors and then we do have a plan for some more films in the pipeline. So we shall see!