ACRONIUS, 2min., UK
Directd by Dele Ajayi
After decades of turmoil, the Kingdom of Sonuria is finally at peace. This new era, established by the good King Acronius, has been noted for its prosperity.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The project started very small, from the cog tunnel at the end of the film. I saw a similar short sequence in someone's showreel and felt I should do something similar but I felt the tunnel had to lead somewhere to something. Eventually the idea grew and grew until we have what we see here.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Well as I work full time as a motion designer and also have two young kids, this project took a lot longer than I expected. I started around 2017-2018 and continued to work on it in my spare time. There were some years where no progress was made.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Finding the time to complete it I guess. That and the motivation to keep going. Often I was very motivated to finish it then after a month working on it, I would stop and focus on another project.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was extremely shy at first and delayed watching the feedback in case they were not positive. Then I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside after watching the positive reviews - it felt nice.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
From my late teens I guess. I was often coming up with short scenes or sequences that would be great in film. I am very interested in folklore and legends and have always wanted to create modern stories that incorporate these tales. I focused on animation when I realised it was far cheaper and easier for me to create an animated film instead of employing actors and creating a set.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Most likely Superman II which I watched on repeat when I was young! I don't think I watch films over and over like that anymore. Either that or Aliens which still today I will watch now and again.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
The feedback functionality is really nice - I do like that. It would be wonderful to be interviewed for your podcast as well. Maybe full transparency on the selection process? Often I feel that festival runners could provide more feedback as to why a short may not be selected, but I understand this may be impossible with the volume of entries they have.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Quick and easy. It works well.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Recently I have been eating a lot of Mexican food. I do love Tamales!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yep! Currently working on a character animated film about a journalist with writer's block. I hope I get it done a lot faster this time!