FEMALE Festival Best Scene: The Electric Eye by Kimberly Butler, Marissa Lessman
BEST SCENE SCREENPLAY READINGS • 5m 36s
A middle aged woman finds herself convicted of murder in the 1930’s. She is sent to an all male prison in deep Southern Illinois to await her fate for a crime she may not have committed. Based on true events.
Narrator: Val Cole
Marie: Kyana Teresa
Young Roberta: Hannah Ehman
Get to know writer Kimberly Butler:
1.What is your screenplay about?
The life story of a woman in the 1930's who finds herself convicted of murder. She is sentenced to the death penalty, and sent to an all male prison to carry out her sentence. This story is based on true events.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
True stories involving women faced with this type of tragedy are very rare. Our main character has been faced with adversity from a young age, and maneuvered through them all. However, the justice system was not to be defeated.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Hunger Games
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
Two, the second one, Rabbits War and Wardens, is in the editing stages.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Dreams, Fleetwood Mac
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I had never written a screenplay before. I had to find someone to collaborate with that would agree to relinquishing all rights. Marissa ended up being the best partner who I can't wait to work with again.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
My family. My daughter is a budding musician, and I work very hard trying to get her established.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I have had an extremely positive experience with FilmFreeway. I've entered several contest, and plan to enter more.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Being a woman I feel it's important to support other women, and other women owned platforms. The Electric Eye is about a woman. A woman who was the first to be executed in an all male prison. I was the first woman to be the warden at that very prison. I felt it was important that a woman tell the story. The feedback was excellent!
Up Next in BEST SCENE SCREENPLAY READINGS
FEMALE Festival Best Scene Reading: R...
Ready to Mingle follows Dr. Millie Ward, a defensive self-help columnist for the clickbait-dependent news site Nova Press. Millie thrives on applying her analytical mind to patients she cannot see, snuggled in sweaters that ensure that no one can ever see her. After a lifetime of being told she w...
ASIAN Festival Best Scene Reading: Th...
Dong Sheng and Mei Ning’s cherished family pear tree bursts out in buds and blossoms, only to be wrecked by their friendly new neighbors. Heartbroken, they strive to help the tree heal and thrive, while at the same time feeling through a season of recovering from the incident themselves.
DRAMA Festival Best Scene Reading: TE...
A young, ambitious idealist returns home from war to find his king and country on the brink of ruin - and ripe for positive reform - until a bankrupt alcoholic becomes the unlikely leader of the movement instead and all hell breaks loose. The incredible true story of the French Revolution.