In a college football-crazed town, after the big game, three of the players are accused of a hate crime of beating a gay man to death. The task of defending them falls to the school’s former All-American football star turned lawyer. CHRIS CAMPBELL, the lauded letterman now with a briefcase, is aided by an expedient college administration and a loyal police department but he hides a guilty conscience and has never been involved in a murder trial. What’s more, the prosecuting attorney is ABALARDO VAS, the most prominent attorney in the state, who also happens to be a gay man with a grudge against the college football team.
Narrator: Shawn Devlin
Buzz: Geoff Mays
Chris: Allan Michael Brunet
Get to know the writer:
What is your screenplay about?
My screenplay is about a former All-American football player, now a disillusioned lawyer,
who returns to his alma mater to solve a vicious hate crime that implicates his former football team. He is caught in the crossroads of his loyalty to his team and to doing the right thing.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Drama, Sports, LGBTQ.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
This story is so relevant to big time collegiate sports in America and is so timely with the LGBTQ movement toward equality, diversity and inclusion.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Seriously for two years.
7. How many stories have you written?
I wrote a book and have another screenplay still in the oven.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Amarillo by Morning.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
The most difficult obstacle was fine tuning the screenplay that incorporated the most valuable pieces of feedback into an almost completed piece of work.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Baseball, golf and hockey.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Excellent platform site that is consistent and informative. It does everything it can for you to be noticed with your work.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Wildsound has some Canadiana behind it. The initial feedback was very helpful and professional. As a former teacher I know that how feedback is delivered is so important to act as motivation for your students (writers).