When a young, queer nun confined to a life of labor, starvation, and flagellation reaches her threshold, she draws attention and takes control by performing possessions and miracles, electing herself a holy conduit of God's word.
Narrator: Steve Rizzo
Carlotta: Val Cole
Benedetta: Hannah Ehman
Novices/Guiliano: Geoff Mays
Get to know the screenwriter:
1. What is your screenplay about?
Inspired by the true story of Benedetta Carlini, The Blessed is about a young, queer nun in 1600s Italy who takes control of her convent by "performing miracles and visitations" that bring the town to its knees.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Historical Drama with a laugh or two to be had.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I think it could make a fantastic series with the high stakes and intrigue of The Handmaid's Tale and the dramedic, cloistered ensemble of Orange is the New Black. It show women working together to, in their own small way, overthrow some of the most powerful forces in their world.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Thrilling and sexy
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
I count the Angels in America HBO miniseries as a 6hr movie.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
Between pilots, screenplays, and stage plays, my guesstimate is about 25.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
The Forest Awakes - by David Byrne and St. Vincent
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Comparisons to the Paul Verhoeven film on the same subject, but at the end of the day we have very different cinematic gazes and storytelling style.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Justice for the LGBTQ+ community and cats
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
As a writer, I engage more often with Coverfly, but I'm really impressed with the depth and breadth of opportunities on FF.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I wanted to specifically focus on festivals and contests that were seeking out queer content.