THREE SISTERS short film, audience reactions (with filmmaker interview)
Special Interest, Short Films
THREE SISTERS, 3min., USA, Experimental/Dance
Directed by Lenny Gonzalez
A non-narrative short film about the 2019 Hong Kong protests that explores three archetypes engaged in the conflict.
I decided to make my first film Three Sisters in response to the 2019 Hong Kong protests. I was moved by the perseverance of the protestors and intrigued by the methods they used to mobilize and communicate, specifically the hand gestures they used for non-verbal communication within these moving masses.
So I wanted to create for the viewer an expressionistic abstraction of light, shadow and motion of the human body showing three archetypes I saw engaged in this conflict – youth, middle-age and old age.
In hindsight, my portrayal of the victor of the protests did not turn out as I had predicted and the surgical mask worn by “youth” would also turn out to be eerily prophetic, yet the symbology for both has now become even more haunting and reflective of what was to eventually take place in Hong Kong and then around the world.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I took a film class.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Having to commit to final edit.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Egotistical joy, I watched it twice!
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Couple years ago, I was tired of waiting for the next film scoring gig, so I took a class in Experimental Film making.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Blade Runner or Caddy Shack, I lost track.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Provide personalized festivals/platforms/experiences to show personal films.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Its made a very elusive process (for me) very simple.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Breakfast tacos and coffee
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am shooting an experimental space opera on 8mm black and white.