THE TRUE SUMMIT, 30min., USA
Directed by Corban Robbe
This 30-minute documentary follows 14 men and mountaineer Kevin DeVries on a trek to EVEREST BASE CAMP as he prepares to climb in the region after a cardiac arrest. More than a hike in the Himalayas, THE TRUE SUMMIT calls men to the inward journey and the inescapable reality that the change we seek can only be found in a Christ-centered community.
Get to know producer/star Kevin DeVries:
1. What motivated you to make this film? We wanted to create a juxtaposed space where we climbed the mountain to help the audience climb within.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film? One year.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!? Climb Within
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film? Drone permit. Battery power. Staying healthy. Capturing everything with one filmmaker while constantly trekking in thin air.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video? Relief that the message is universally understood as something endemic to the human condition.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films? When I participated in a documentary in 2015 called Finding Noah.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life? Shawshank Redemption of course:)
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career? You guys delivered more than most if not all other festivals with your feedback.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site? Fantastic!
10. What is your favorite meal? Bone-In 22 oz.porterhouse steak, redskin mashed potatoes and fresh oven-roasted asparagus.
11. What is next for you? A new film? One or two more documentaries and a book series.