SUPERMAN, 4min., Canada
Directed by Andre St-Amour
Lois Lane is captured by two dangerous gangsters! Superman flies to her rescue, but is challenged by Metallo and then things only get worse! PART ONE of short animated Superman FAN FILM SERIAL!
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I've always been a fan of Superman, and the Fleisher Superman cartoons, and of the old black and white serials like Buck Rogers, Shazam, Superman, Batman, The Phantom, etc., So I thought why not combine all them of them into a fan film serial of sorts. This Superman short is part one, of course. I'm already working on part 2.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Four to six weeks, approximately.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Telling as big a story as possible in the least amount of time, and all WITHOUT any dialogue. I usually create all the different voices in my animated cartoons myself but I just couldn't produce a proper Lois Lane voice, so I opted to not have any voices at all, at least no actual dialogue. This forced me to tell the story in a purely visual fashion. Hopefully I succeeded in that endeavour.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Stunned silence. As an filmmaker-cartoonist you never get to hear genuine feedback, outside of family and friends so it's very encouraging to discover people far beyond your usual social circle who actually enjoy what you've created. I'm still in shock!
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Since I discovered my father's Super-8 film camera, when I was like 9 years old, and learned how to use it! Yes, I'm THAT old! LOL
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
That's a tough one! Probably Star Wars or any Ray Harryhausen film.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Just keep doing what you're doing! New filmmakers need all the promotion and help we can get to put out films out there and find an audience!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Spectacular. Having a "one stop shop" for all a filmmaker's film festival needs is incredible.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Blackened Cajun Swordfish!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
MANY new films. I've got half a dozen animated shorts in various stages of development and more than a few live-action films too.