STAN'S PLAN, 14min,. Canada
Directed by Barry Nerling, Baille Reid
Stan, Izzy and Rip, three drug fuelled low life criminals return after a botched robbery of a local gangster. In the process, Stan is shot in the stomach and in a panic, they take one of the Gangster's men as a bargaining chip only to find out they have taken the Boss's oldest son.
Get to know the filmmaker Barry Nerling:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
This is funny, I have a really bad barking dog issue at my place and one night out of frustration and anger I went to a dark place in my head and thought, man they are lucky that I'm not a different kind of person.
Then Roderick was born and the film came to life from there really.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
We shot it all in a 12 hr day on a weekend. Missed one shot so had to figure out a new solution as the location was no longer an option. Suddenly, schedules changed, people were sick etc or busy with real work so all in all it was about a year because of those issues.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Probably losing our location and having to figure out how to get the last shots which was the after credit stuff. Originally that was just going to be the 2 detectives at the scene of the crime. So had to get creative with taht and it actually spawned the idea of having Roderick still be alive. You know, for the sequel :)
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
TBH, I almost shed a tear, to hear people with such great comments and feedback. Made me super proud of the tea and this film. So thanks for that.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Probably 20 yrs ago, I work in film. Started as an extra and now I am an Actor and stunt performer and watching films being made inspired me to do it so I could work on my acting and directing.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Ya that's a long list
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I love the audience feedback so anything like that is awesome. I really don't set out to win these things. I just want to have the film selected and know that it is being
watched and appreciated, so to hear that from the audience is really helpful and motivating.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Filmfreeway is fantastic. Really easy and showcases projects really well as well as the access to finding great film fests like yours.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Anything thaat is cooked for me :)
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Possibly a sequel to Stan's Plan. I am currently writing it now :)