RECESS 101, 4min,. USA, Animation
Directed by Christopher Sartorius
A group of 2nd graders learn everything they’ll ever need to know about getting along and making friends during school recess.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wanted to bring to life some of the children’s books I’d written over the years. In my opinion, not every children's story needs to be published as a picture book. Some stories just work better as animated shorts.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About a year. It took a long time to find the right animation collaborator, Evan Miamone, to draw the art work.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Recess 101. (I know that’s cheating but the title just sums up the stories in the series.)
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Finding the right collaborators. Scheduling conflicts.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I’m happy people enjoyed it and found some nice things to say about my / our work. I appreciate it.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Shortly after writing my first screenplay over 5 1/2 years ago.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Matrix. I have also read the screenplay many times; it’s the best sci-fi script I’ve read.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Bringing animators / illustrators / artists and screenwriters together by 1) offering storyboarding services as a prize? 2) Concept art by a great artist (not AI) as a prize?
Help with fundraising.1) Helping set up a fundraising site as a prize? 2) More ideas along those lines—services that help the filmmaker and/or screenwriter.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway is the best festival web site I’ve used.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Recently I’ve enjoyed making ramen bowls with lots of fresh ingredients. My favorite meal changes all the time.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Episodes 2 and 3 of Recess 101 and then more after that.