PUBERTY short film, audience reactions (with interview)
Animation, Kids and Family, Drama, Short Films
PUBERTY, 2min., USA, Animation
Directed by Jiabao Peng
A Chinese teenager confronts her friend in class, which leads to a self-discovery of her sexuality.
Get to know the director:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The film is my senior project. When I started writing my story, the first intention was to share something authentic and put my emotion into it. The eagerness for visual delivery triggers me to make animation films.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It almost took me one and a half years to complete this film. The process started with screenwriting and character design at the beginning of 2021. And I finished the film at the end of April 2022.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I’ve experienced lots of technical issues. Due to my limited experience and budget, I was chased by the deadline. I’ve shortened my planned time for post-production.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was awesome. It felt like I was in a seminar to discuss this film with others.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Since I was in high school, I was interested in writing stories and drawing storyboards. After college, I studied 3D animation as a profession. I always want to tell my own story.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I admire French director Celine Sciamma. Her feature film, Tomboy, inspired me a lot. In the process of making my own film, I watched her film over and over again to study the use of cameras.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I wish the festival could also be a platform for me to get connected with other filmmakers and visual effects crew. I want to communicate and learn from others.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experience been working on the festival platform site?
The overall experience is great.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Chinese Hot pot.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m at the early stage of planning my new animation film. My current idea is to make a real-life scale animation revealing a fictional story of Chinese opera. It’s still developing.