HAPPY 4 U, 9min., USA, Comedy
Directed by Shannon Coffey
happy 4 u is a short film that explores the dynamics of a latinx friend group navigating the entertainment industry that demands competition and tries to diminish community.
Get to know the writer:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The #1 motivating factor was a tight deadline for a short film competition that presented itself sort of out of nowhere! Myself and others involved happened to have the time and flexibility (which almost never seems to happen) so we had to take advantage of that divine timing.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About 2 months for it to be in submittable shape for that initial deadline. Then we kept refining color, sound, etc. and I'd say our completed project was done at the end of August-so, 6 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
real and silly.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was stunned and so happy (ha). It was so cool to hear feedback from people I didn't know. Up until then, I'd really only shared the film with close friends and family, so, sometimes when getting compliments from them-you can start to think "oh of course they're going to say something nice-they have to!" and not really absorb it. So it was really reassuring and touching to hear how much our film resonated with these folks I don't know. It was comforting.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Probably since I saw my first movie? as like, a 3 year old or something -hah. But initially from the perspective of wanting to be an actor. It took about a decade of acting in and collaborating on other people's projects for me to slowly wade into the 'filmmaker' pool.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory or Billy Madison.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
It would be cool if there was an in person mixer/screening component!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Overall, pretty good!
10. What is your favorite meal?
Cheeseburger, fries and a shake. Or steak frites. Or pizza and caesar salad.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Actually, I'll be helping my friends make their first feature film in the early new year. I'm always so excited to collaborate with them and it's going to be such a great learning experience to be a part of a feature.