DARKNESS AND LIGHT, 3min., Italy
Directed by Alessia Ambrosini
Nighttime. A middle-aged woman is walking fast. A young man follows her. The woman notices it, panics, and speeds up her pace. She is about to cross a street when a car speeds up. Her pursuer leaps, overtakes her, and plants himself in front of the vehicle, thus saving the woman from a fatal accident. But that's not all. Images play with the spectator; they mislead and surprise him until they lead him to an unimaginable ending.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The intention was to send a message of hope. What seems to be a negative event can actually turn out to be providential. We all have someone who protects us and continues to protect us even when they seem to be gone.
2. How long did it take you to make this film, from the idea to the finished product?
It took me very little time: four days to write the script, two days of pre-production, one day to compose the soundtrack, one day to shoot the film and two days of post-production.
3. How would you describe your film in two words?
It is night. A middle-aged woman is walking down the street. A young man follows her. When she notices him, she speeds up to lose him, but just as she is about to cross the street, a car comes at high speed. And here I have to stop, otherwise I give away the ending. I'll just say that things are not what they seem....
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The short film was shot in 2021, in the middle of the Covid period. This was undoubtedly the biggest obstacle.
5. What were your first reactions when you saw the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The first reaction was one of surprise. Surprise to see how everyone grasped different aspects of the underlying message of the film, based on their own sensitivities and personal experiences.
6. When did you realize you wanted to make films?
I have always enjoyed telling stories. In 2017, following a corporate restructuring, the company I was working for as a consultant did not renew my employment contract. So I took the opportunity to cultivate my passions and train professionally in the field of filmmaking. "Darkness and Light" was my first work. I went on to make a second short film and a documentary.
7. Which film have you seen the most in your life?
"Dangerous Liaisons" by Stephen Frears.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
TOFFFF is perfect as it is!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. What was your experience of working on the festival platform website?
A very positive experience. It is very easy to use. Also, thanks to the internal filters, you can select the most suitable festivals in terms of the film you want to propose.
10. What is your favourite food?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I have just finished filming a documentary about the relationship between Italy and Japan. The documentary should be finished by the end of this year.