DALTON'S CHOICE, 5min., China
Directed by Weiheng Kong
Dalton got a mission to explore a planet to see if there is any valuable thing.
Get to know the filmmaker:
What motivated you to make this film?
The inspiration behind creating this film was rooted in my lifelong passion for science fiction. As someone who has always been captivated by sci-fi novels, movies, and games, I found myself naturally drawn to the idea of crafting a graduation film that would explore the boundless possibilities of the universe. After an intense two-week brainstorming process, I solidified my decision to create an animation centered around the cosmos, a choice that felt like a perfect culmination of my fascination with the genre.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It takes around five months. One month for story making, one month for animatics And three months for production.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The most significant challenge I encountered during the completion of this film was in the realm of story development. Crafting a compelling narrative proved to be particularly daunting. In the initial stages, I was certain that I wanted the story to revolve around the universe; however, translating the vastness of cosmic themes into a concise and engaging short film was a formidable task. Drawing inspiration from numerous universe-themed animations and receiving invaluable guidance from my teacher, I persevered through the creative struggle. It was through this iterative process, informed by a combination of external influences and personal determination, that the final storyline took shape.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was so glad that my first animation can be shared with those of you and get so many useful feedback.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I finished 'Dalton's Choice'. Despite the challenges I faced during the rigorous processes of rigging, modeling, and various technical aspects, the moment I watched the finished film, a profound realization dawned on me. I discovered an unparalleled sense of joy and fulfillment derived from the process of crafting a film from start to finish. It was in that transformative moment of witnessing my creation come to life that I recognized my deep-seated passion for filmmaking."
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think now it is already awesome, let my film known by more people and got more feedbacks so that I could do better on my next film.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Pretty convenient and the process was smooth.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Chicken wings? If it means my favorite film in this festival, I would say mine because I don't know where to find others.😂
11. What is next for you? A new film
I now is preparing for next film, I would like to explore more about sci-fi animation making.