A HOLIDAY CASSEROLE YOUR MAN WILL LOVE, 5min., USA, Thriller
Directed by Nina Kramer
A novice stay-at-home vlogger is in the middle of making a video when her husband returns home from work. Their exchange turns violent and the camera as the camera keeps rolling...
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I used to get hired to make Tasty videos - we'd shoot 16 in one day so the job demanded a lot. The only person who was bored on set was my cinematographer who would just set the camera up and press record every once in a while. To entertain her, I would put on plays with my hands. Eventually, the idea rolled into this film. Wanted to make something for fun, I think we did it for $400 with just myself, a DP, and a few actors.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About a month. I cut the project myself so once we shot I had a cut done in about two days. The back end of sound design, score, and color took a little longer.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We had to perform it like a play. Any mistakes would require us to re-shoot the entire thing so the project felt like a really fun highwire act. The only time we were allowed to call cut is if the talent had totally cleared frame, which is only about 4 times throughout the entire project. There are a few tricks in post I used to cover some mistakes.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I love hearing their theories both plot wise and thematically. I'm so familiar with the story that I'm so thrilled that it took people into different directions than originally intended.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Young young young. Like, 8? I didn't know it was a job until about 14. Once I was red pilled, I haven't thought about doing anything else.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Silver Linings Playbook.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
No notes here!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
10. What is your favorite meal?
Toasted baguette w butter. Simple gal. I also love skirt steak, I'll never say no.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes! A feature. Rom-com. Gay! I also have a short that I really want to make but dare I say I'm getting burnt out on short format. I want to run a little further, do something I haven't done before.