Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Nicole Mercedes released this song from her album "Look Out Where You're Going: and wanted me to make a video for it. She had the kernel of the idea to have someone in drag sing it as karaoke.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
We prepped this pretty quickly, about a month, then shot it in 2 days. The edit took longer because of work schedules. I think all told it was about 3 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
After we shot the video, Nicole wanted it to unfold in a way that we hadn't accounted for, so we had to made hard compromises for us both to be happy with the final version.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I love that a lot of attention was on the stark contrast of the black & white v. color aspect. Honestly, I took a cue from the classic Wizard of Oz. I wanted to show that this guy's life came alive when he was doing what he loved, even if he wasn't getting attention for it. He was doing for himself.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
After college, I realized I wanted to work in the film business as a way to learn how to make films.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
That would have to be Wizard of Oz, from a very young age.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I'm really looking forward to seeing other filmmakers' works!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway is great - makes it very simple, and exposes a lot of diverse festivals.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I'll take pizza any day.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I'm currently prepping another music video for another artist. So excited to be shooting again!
24 FILTERS, 4min., USA, Music Video
Directed by Rachel Kleinman
Music video; song "24 Filters" by Nicole Mercedes. A night of Karaoke might make things better,
Christina Garnett - producer