Narration by Val Cole
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your short story about?
My story (Flight, Fight, or Freeze) is based on something that happened when I was a teenager. There were rumors around town that two women in workout gear were trying to get into people's homes. So when the door started to open, my mom and I thought it was those women coming for us.
2. What genres would you say this story is in?
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
Tense and Chaotic
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
The Wizard of Oz
5. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the
most times in your life?)
Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Judy Blume's JUST AS LONG AS WE'RE TOGETHER was my favorite growing up and I read it so much that I can still quote some lines!
7. What motivated you to write this story?
I thought it was really interesting how my mom, brother, and I all reacted differently to the situation portrayed in this story. I learned that I can act quickly in a crisis and my brother very much cannot. (Sorry, bro!) I wanted to show how a crisis really does reveal what you're capable of when it counts.
8. If you could have dinner with one person (dead or alive), who would
Judy Blume. She is my author hero and such a treasure.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Books, Dogs, Running, Sleeping, Traveling, Eating
10. What influenced you to enter your story to get performed?
I thought it would be cool to hear someone else's take on my words.
11. Any advice or tips you'd like to pass on to other writers?
Read a lot. Revise a lot.