UNBELIEVABLE! THE ART WILLIAMS STORY short film (director interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 9m 39s
UNBELIEVABLE! THE ART WILLIAMS STORY, 29min., Documentary
Directed by Edward C. Bartel II
“Unbelievable!" provides the audience with a glimpse into the life of Art Williams. From his humble beginnings working alongside his mother and father in the cotton fields at the tender age of four, to his family’s experiences as part of the Great Migration, to breaking the color lines in the Detroit Tigers organization, working as a public servant, and ultimately becoming Baseball’s First Black National League Umpire.
It is truly an honor and privilege to create in this medium. The ability to affect change in emotion and thought is a gift that I do not take lightly, and I plan to continue educating, inspiring, and entertaining for decades to come.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film? I was initially asked by Art's niece Maria if I would be interested in telling Art's story and I said absolutely.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film? We began discussions and research in October 2021 and delivered the final edit in February 2022.
3. How would you describe your film in two words? Consistently motivating.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film? Not having the immediate opportunity to interview everyone I wanted to.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video? I was humbled and in gratitude that others found Art's story interesting and that they learned something new.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films? At the age of 12 after seeing The Making of The Empire Strikes Back.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life? Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career? I would love to be able to get our films in front of industry influencers.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site? It has been easy and worry-free. Very organized.
10. What is your favorite meal? Cowboy steak and asparagus.
11. What is next for you? A new film? We are currently seeking funding for the full-length version of Art's story. Also, we're in post-production of a feature-length documentary about 100 years of women's political power.
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
GRANITE JAW short film, audience reac...
GRANITE JAW, 6min., Canada, Documentary
Directed by Conner Nikides
A heavyweight boxer training on his boxing bag as he thinks of the fights he has had in the past and is going to have.
A man with a granite jaw.
TRIAPHIE short film, audience reactions
TRIAPHIE, 14min., Austria, Documentary
Directed by Matthaeus Weissenbacher
Manfred Eder had suffered from chronic asthma since he was 18 months old. His whole life he took strong medicine like cortisones, to compete the asthma. At times the side effects were as bad as the sickness, Manfred says.
DIVA short film, audience reactions (...
DIVA, 13min., France, Dramedy
Directed by Christopher Mack
What would you do to be a star? On a film with no budget? Audrey, a working actor, is determined to follow her dreams to shine, but finds herself up against growing challenges. Diva is a timely, comedic, and sharp commentary on working in...