TURKEY ON RYE, 9min., USA
Directed by Lucas Hule
A short film about a man and his missing sandwich.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
It actually started as a fake 2-minute podcast I did for a college project back when I was in community college. I really liked how the podcast turned out so I decided to shoot it live-action. Also, like Winston, I also went through a huge sandwich phase.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you
to make this film?
It took around 2-3 months, not including when I made the podcast.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I couldn't come up with an ending that I liked for the life of me. The script went through so many different drafts with endings I hated. Also, the montage took forever because we were stupidly underprepared for the shoot.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking
about your film in the feedback video?
I loved it! I was really hoping for some more constructive feedback, but it is always good to hear all positives. Some of the audience members pointed stuff out I didn't even notice when I was creating it.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I used to do theater in high school and absolutely loved the teamwork aspect of it. That, coupled with my passion for filmmaking, made for an easy career decision.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Back to the Future pt I or Surf's Up
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other
festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking
More feedback. I also wished it was still recorded inside a packed theater. You can't beat that atmosphere.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your
experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It was good. Very straightforward and easy to navigate.
10. What is your favorite meal?
It always changes. Probably chicken marsala right now (yes it used to be sandwiches).
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am in the process of writing another short and hope to have it completed by next December.