TO KEEP YOUR VITAL ORGANS WARM, 14min,. USA
Directed by Sophie Aguila
A troubled young pianist is haunted by the memory of her contemptuous instructor as she practices.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Before I began working in film, I trained as a pianist. I realized that the music felt alive, and began to chase the thrill this created for long after. My determination was slowly taken advantage of by a former mentor. As I began healing, I learned many other artists had dealt with a similar relationship. I wanted to make this film to show the strength of the bond between a person and their art, superseding external conflict.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The idea started bouncing around in my head in spring 2022— I began sharing it with a few peers the following summer. When junior year started, I worked on the development phase during the fall, and pre- thru post-production in the spring. We had the finished product in summer 2023.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The size of the main location. Shooting the majority of the film within a single room, the amount of crew and gear permitted on-site was restricted.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was honored to see the film receive such thoughtful and positive feedback! The team and I have been incredibly grateful for this chance to listen to thoughts from those watching the film for the first time. On a personal end, it was definitely gratifying to see that the themes of growth and individuality within the film landed with so many viewers.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I always wanted to work in the industry. For a while I thought this was going to be through music, but in the past six years or so I've realized and nurtured my love of directing as my primary craft.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (2005).
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I absolutely love the opportunity to network through festivals. Whether through gathering audience feedback, offering Q&A sessions, or individually connecting likeminded creators, all of these elements have helped to further my career!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway is an extremely efficient platform to work on. It expedites all levels of exhibition, and makes the process accessible for young filmmakers.
10. What is your favorite meal?
My grandma's mofongo recipe.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
This year, I'm thrilled to be creating my senior thesis short film! I'm currently moving into pre-production with the team, and gearing up for production this winter. We'll be excited to share the film with a public audience in spring 2024.