THE TOOL, 50min., Spain
Directed by Alvaro Mendoza
The way the different wild species use tools may help us to understand how the animal mind works... And it does not go exactly as we have come to believe!
Get to know the filmmaker:
What motivated you to make this film?
I think people have a confused idea of animals and their intelligence and feelings. I guess we would love they were much like us humans but they are not! We believe they deserve our respect and care but that does not mean they are small persons.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took two years, some of the sequences were very hard to achieve, specially the one of the white vulture using stones to break the egg and that of the wasp and the caterpillar, we needed two summers to have it completed.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Curios and suggestive
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Animal behavior is always difficult to film!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Its really nice to see how these people dedicated their time and affection to comment our work. I enjoy how seriously they accomplish the task.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was 25 years old, in Spain their was a person who used to produce wildlife documentaries and it was an idol to our generation... He was Félix, he died on a aircraft accident in Canada, I just wanted to continue his work.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I watch a lot of movies for three o four times, let say I have seen It´s a Wonderful Life or Philadelphia Story maybe ten times!
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Wildlife production is a very odd world, we would love to contact USA distributors!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site? I am 60 yers old already so I am not very used to platforms and this stuff but it was not too complicated and I received some help from my sons!
10. What is your favorite meal? I do love Paella at home... My wife is the perfect cooker!
11. What is next for you? A new film? We are always producing a new documentary, now about the HEAT in the animal world...