THE SECOND HAND, 15min., Canada, Sci-Fi
Directed by Tristan Hamburgh
A scorned young woman gains access to a dark power that could wreak horrible revenge against her unfaithful lover. Though first she must use his own games, to lure him into her wicked trap.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I think really it was a desire to create my own version of a modern day, "urban fairy tale". In that, these old stories are often cautionary tales for those who act in wicked ways. Sometimes we find a fair maiden, an evil prince and a scheming witch with plans of her own. That's why I incorporated elements and iconography (Easter eggs) from these kinds of old stories throughout the film, while also keeping themes, subjects, and settings from our modern times as the focus. I love hearing when people can spot these homages and point them out, and perhaps get more with each viewing.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Roughly a year and a half from inception. We shot at the end of Oct 2021 and the final film was completed mid Oct 2022, so it was nearly one year exactly from camera to post.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We actually lost some footage due to corrupted files. Luckily we were able to go back and reshoot what we lost relatively easily (could have been much worse). Additionally I took the opportunity to write and shoot an additional scene to flesh out the story. So really it ended up benefiting the story in the long run.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Loved it! Hearing everybodies thoughtful insights, and knowing that the story landed as I intended gave me great satisfaction. Thank you everyone!
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
At the age of six my parents took me to see Jurassic Park in theaters... the rest was history.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
From childhood to now, most likely Jurassic Park.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think what your festival is doing is really great and unique. Being able to see real feedback on my film from real film lovers, really makes it a thrill and is very encouraging to emerging filmmakers. It helps in building a sense of your own voice as an artist, seeing it reflected back to you. It is hugely valuable and I would say other festivals could implement a similar approach, especially if the filmmakers are unable to attend live screenings, they still get that valuable feedback.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I love FilmFreeway. They really open up the world to all filmmakers and submitting becomes a far simpler and streamlined process.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I love so many different foods but I'll have to settle on something basic that always wins hearts... Pizza.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I have a new thriller that I am planning to begin developing in early 2023 with some previous collaborators. So look out for that!