THE ROSE, 4min., UK, Animation/Music Video
Directed by Hilary Campilan
Baroque-pop, cinematic folk tale about lost childhood, with ethereal vocals, weeping cello & distorted bass. Starring dancer / choreographer Chrissy Brooke, Directed by Hilary Campilan.
Get to know musician Michaela Betts:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The Rose is a deeply personal biographical song about childhood trauma. I released the song initially as part of my EP Ripe Fruit and then re-released a "darker" more orchestrated version The Rose (Darker) in July 2023. Because of the strong imagery in the lyrics, I felt compelled to seek out the right people to collaborate on the music video. It always felt right to animate it.
I found Hilary Campilan the animator and director on Instagram and was immediately drawn to the striking work she was doing with dancers, animation and ai. I was already friends with dancer & choreographer Chrissy Brooke as we had worked together in a singing capacity. We all connected and the rest is history!
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Hilary and I connected in November 2020, Chrissy Brooke came on board in February 2023, during which time my producer Jon Griffin and I were in the studio recording The Rose (Darker) to be released as a single. The animation was signed off on 11th July 2023 and released with The Rose (Darker).
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Budget & resources
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was moved to tears as it's been such a long and emotional journey with a song that is so deeply personal.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I've always loved animation and dance. I'm a singer songwriter but have strong visual ideas and lyrics, it seemed only natural to seek out film makers and artists to collaborate with and help bring my songs to life visually as well as sonically. I'm also fed up of drowning on Spotify lol.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Black Stallion - Carroll Ballard, Caleb Deschanel, Carmine Coppola what a team - the cinematography and score are stunning, I still sob over the end credits.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Networking with other creatives and finding distribution to reach a wider audience. Also help with funding options!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
There are a LOT of festivals on this site so it takes time to read all the profiles and bios. It's been a smooth ride to submit The Rose though.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Used to be sushi but I'm a vegetarian now so it's Wagamama tofu ramen.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I would love to continue to work with Hilary Campilan and also collaborate with film maker Johnny Coffeen who did The Swan Girl.