THE HEALER'S DREAM, 15min., Canada/India, Documentary
Directed by Roxana Mares
Ayurveda is an ancient tradition of medicine that originated in India, with certain branches established and taught in Nepal. Various regions in Nepal, in particular the Kathmandu Valley, became centers of ancient knowledge where the medical and spiritual traditions of Ayurveda are being preserved.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
My love for Anthropology, positive personal experience with Ayurveda, and passion for sharing impactful stories with the world.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you
to make this film?
Three years from jotting notes to complete post-production. Although the EP, and the person who has had the idea to make this film has wanted to make it for over 10 years.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Connecting with people in Nepal for various answers I needed once I was back in North America.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking
about your film in the feedback video?
I was so happy to receive feedback from people that don't know me. It was great to hear unbiased feedback and to hear that people were impacted in ways that I hoped they would be when I made various editing decisions.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
In 2019 after what felt like a whole career in dentistry (sciences) and working as a wellness consultant in parallel, I realized that I wanted to share what I know and find helpful/useful with the world on a much grander scale than one person at a time.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other
festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking
Opportunities for connection with distributors, and other key players in the industry. Connection with other filmmakers and ways to bring together people with complementary skills in order to make their projects into films. Some way to offer emerging directors opportunities to direct films for others and gain experience.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your
experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Great, no complaints!
10. What is your favorite meal?
Cabbage rolls and polenta! I am Romanian, so cabbage rolls are common in that culture.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am currently working on creating a feature length film (or maybe a pilot for a series) about motherhood and the challenges mothers experience trying to build their careers while also doing their best to raise their children well. Kind of like the existential crisis of mothers.