THE DRUG DEAL, 8min, USA
Directed by Tanya O'Quinn
‘Gary’ is a loving and devoted father. He is a family-man and very proud of it. And even though he loves spending time with his family, during his ‘me time’, he indulges in gangsta movies and westerns.
Get to know Producer Chad Newsome:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
My Fiancee/Business Partner is the Writer of "The Drug Deal (A Covid-19 Comedy)". We were locked in the house due to the Governor's Stay at Home Order; I wanted to shoot something at night; she was feeling herself after writing and directing "The Cough (A Covid-19 Comedy)" and "Browsing History". She wrote "The Drug Deal..." to give me content for a night-shoot while satisfying her creative and directorial urges. And here we are.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Five days, excluding editing and coloring. It took Tanya (the Writer) a few hours to write the screenplay; and we filmed on the weekends.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Trying to get along with a specific crew member. People are who they are; spending so much time on a set - especially an indie set - with strangers can be a great challenge if people can't see eye-to-eye. Moreover, if they choose to not compromise. Still, the film was completed and y'all gave us an award, thank you!!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Proud. Appreciated. Inspired. Motivated. Encouraged.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I'd say the mid 2000s.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably "Star Wars" or "The Breakfast Club"...but "Aliens 2" would definitely be in the Top 3.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Meet 'n' Greet with potential Investors, Distributors, Studio Heads (having this specific group of people accessible at one time is empowering to the Filmmaker).
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
No issues, a pretty good method so far.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I love (from anywhere on the East Coast) shrimp with broccoli, in a brown sauce, with fried chicken wings. Oh and a slice of cheese pizza, maybe for the appetizer?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
A feature...21 Actors, 1 Location: "The Raid (A Covid-19 Comedy)". It's about a deluded Film Director and his D-List Actors along with the dysfunctional Production Crew trying to stealthily make a movie during the early days of the pandemic. Think "Bowfinger" meets "The Bubble".