THE ASSASSIN'S APPRENTICE, 15min., USA
Directed by Russ Emanuel
A coming of age story about Kaylee (Tarah Paige), an apprentice assassin, and her relationship with Pete (Robert Picardo), her trainer, and Miranda (Marina Sirtis), their handler. Kaylee, like a rebellious teenager, simultaneously wants approval and independence from Pete and Miranda. When assigned her first solo hit, Kaylee immediately disobeys orders and goes off course, chasing a Freerunner drone, often with hilarious results. In the end, Kaylee accomplishes her mission, but realizes that she is not yet ready to go it alone.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
My producer Paul Hickman came up with the idea for both films. I myself am a fan of various action films like Run, Lola, Run and The Matrix and was inspired by parkour.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The first film took 2 1/2 years from 2016 to 2018 and will filmed in Los Angeles, and the second film took 4 years from 2019 to 2023. The second film was more difficult to complete due to the Covid-19 virus. We also had filmed in the Canary Islands in Spain for the opening sequence, with the rest of the sequences in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The first film was mostly making sure our backers on our crowdfunding campaigns were completely fulfilled with their perks and the second film was the Covid-19 virus.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was really really happy that they loved the films, especially the action sequences and the visual effects, and especially when they talked about wanting to see more of these films made.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I was a wee little kid who fell in love with composer John Williams' amazing music to such scores as Superman and Star Wars.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Empire Strikes Back.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Just further publicity. It really helps me as a director, especially when it comes to getting investors for my future films. This is the case with my sixth and current feature film Staycation, which wouldn't have been possible without the success of The Assassin's Apprentice 1 and 2.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I really enjoy Film Freeway. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Dessert! Chocolate especially.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
The aforementioned Staycation feature film. It's currently in post-production and stars more Star Trek actors like Olivia d'Abo along with The Assassin's Apprentice 2 alums Sean Kenney and Tracee Cocco.