SASHA, 9min,. USA, Romance/Sci-Fi
Directed by David McGuff
A recently divorced man orders an android to fill the void left by his wife, but SASHA is capable of more than he could have imagined.
Interview with filmmaker David McGuff
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wanted to make something quiet and emotionally complicated that could feasibly be made quickly and for very little money. I'd begun to lose confidence as a filmmaker and wanted to throw everything I could at a project and see if it came out as something I could be proud of.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Around three months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Finding enough money.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was amazing. Coming from the world of theatre I miss getting to talk with an audience after the show and experiencing a story with the people watching it. I've never been in a room with an audience watching my film, but this was a cool feeling.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I've always loved film and wanted to act in film, but I really got serious during COVID because my theatre company shut down.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Ghost and the Darkness
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
This was great!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
10. What is your favorite meal?
Egg sandwiches or sushi
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I have a couple of ideas, but nothing concrete yet. I'm eyeballing a micro-budget feature idea and curious if I can feasibly make it happen.