S A L O P I C A, 8min., Canada
Directed by Serenella Sol, Callum McCormack
Amidst the vibrant colours and rhythmic beats of Venezuela, a young woman uncovers her passion for dance. But as she struggles to conform to society's rigid beauty standards, she embarks on a disorienting and tumultuous journey of self-discovery, leaving her country, culture and innocence in a violent and abrupt awakening.
Get to know the filmmakers:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Everything started when I received a research grant from Canada Council to explore my cultural roots and identity as an immigrant. Throughout the research process, it became clear to me I wanted to make a 3-part film. I decided to approach Callum because I love his aesthetics and work on film and photography. SALOPICA is Part 1, and it examines my childhood adolescence, growing up in Venezuela up to the time I immigrated to Canada.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Almost 2 years.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Because this is such a personal film, I initially felt invaded; but quickly that feeling became relief. I was so happy to hear what other people had to say and the different perspectives and interpretations they had.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
For me (Serenella) it has been a recent need. I have always focused on dance and choreography, but through my research process, it became clear I wanted to create a film.
Callum -> I think I've always been in love with stories from a very young age. I think playing with Lego helped me become a better storyteller. I started making little movies with my friends in elementary school and that evolved into making skiing movies and music videos for my friends. Now my ambitions are growing and I hope to make short narratives and eventually a feature!
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Serenella: I don't normally enjoy re-watching movies that much, but I think a movie I have watched several times is The Matrix
Callum: This is a hard question. Probably the most re-watched films are Bowfinger, Alien, the Sean Connery James Bond's, and the Three Colours trilogy
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think this festival went above and beyond to engage the filmmakers. The audience reaction videos were a great resource.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It has been great! Easy to navigate.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Serenella - Cachapas
Callum - Somosa
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Serenella: I am no sure yet. I have to recuperate from SALOPICA
Callum: I'm currently in pre-production for a music video and after that I'm hoping to start work on my first short film