REQUIEM. GENERATION. BREAKER.film, audience reactions (director interview)
FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS • 5m 51s
REQUIEM. GENERATION. BREAKER., 7min., USA, Animation/Musical
Directed by Derwin Hayden
After a father witnesses a murder, Myck, and his family become targeted by an inter-dimensional demon.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was motivated by a book called "Man's Unconquerable Mind" by Gilbert Highet. I wanted to write a tragedy where a person was cast into a dark pit of despair but refused to let the fire of their soul flicker away.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The project took about 2 years. November 2020 is when I designed the main antagonist.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Making sure that the animation had a good flow to it. Considering how the music video has 3 acts, I had to make sure the rhythm of the visuals never overloaded the viewer.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was very thankful. Hearing such nice words about my film humbled me and showed me that this film had reached people in many ways.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I was about 12, I wanted to find a way to share my stories with the world. I was playing with homemade toys for so long, I felt I had a knack for stories.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I can't really say. I've watched and loved so many films. But, in recent times, I have re-watched Demon slayer: The Mugen Train many times.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Your viewership is always growing, so from my perspective, just continue what you are doing. Getting video reviews for a film is a great asset to have as an artist.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Astounding, amazing user interface. I have shared my films with many festivals with less effort than being on an independent site.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am planning a new film, but it's a secret as of now,
Up Next in FESTIVAL AUDIENCE FEEDBACK VIDEOS
A BOY OF MAY short film, audience rea...
A BOY OF MAY, 16min., South Korea, Animation/Documentary
Directed by Seung-il Chon
Jeong Sae-nal, the young boy in Gwang-ju City, receives new sneakers as a 12th birthday gift, but he is shot by martial law forces while playing with his friends in a mountain reservoir in the back of the town. Sae...
HALF SAMURAI short film, audience rea...
HALF SAMURAI, 11min., Japan, Sci-Fi
Directed by Rashad Haughton
A mysterious drifter wanders into a bar owned by a psychopathic yakuza gang on Halloween night.
DECOY short film, audience reactions
DECOY, 3min., USA, Sci-Fi
Directed by Gen Li
In a post-apocalyptic world, murder robots track down and attempt to kill a cyborg girl.