PROS AND CONS, 17min., UK, Thriller
Directed by Robert Vassie
A group of con artists, betrayed by one of their own during a recent sting, take refuge in their warehouse lair while attempting to force the traitor to reveal the location of the loot. However, the leader of the team, Alice, seems more determined to uncover the motive for the betrayal itself, much to the increasing frustration of her fellow grifters.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I've always loved the heist genre and films about con artists, so as a filmmaker it was something I'd been wanting to try my hand at for years.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I first had the idea back in 2015, even though it took a couple of years to properly get going and was very much stop-start throughout... so 7 years in total!
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Hands down, the biggest challenge was finding the time to fit it in around a full time job in the VFX industry!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The two main reactions I felt were relief and happiness. Hearing complete strangers talking about my film and not only being very complimentary, but knowing that they also understood what I was going for was a very gratifying and humbling experience.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Back when I was studying Media and Film at school and we were asked to make a short trailer for a fake movie. I had such a blast making it and it was so well received, it just sort of clicked.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Hmm, not sure - but I reckon probably 'Speed' as it has always been one of my favourite films.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
It would be great to be able to see the other films which were selected and shown alongside my film, to get a feel for what else was viewed. Perhaps also to have a way of interacting and socialising with the other filmmakers, to share feedback and to help expand our creative networks.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It's a really fantastic platform which is ideal for independent filmmakers such as myself. It's super easy to use and great for getting a feel for what festivals are out there.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I'd probably have to say spaghetti carbonara!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, I'd definitely like to get started on a new film soon! I think perhaps a dark comedy might be on the cards for me next, as that is another genre I have always enjoyed.