NINA, 7min., USA
Directed by Jessica Mei Gershen
Over continuous text messages through time, the connection between two women in a long distance and long lasting love may or may not ever be again.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
There's a lot of truth behind this story. So it was very cathartic to make... I wanted to tell a story about something so many of us live through while we're trying to succeed in a relationship.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
This film was originally made for the Collaboration Filmmakers Challenge so the entire thing was written, shot, and cut in less than 2 weeks.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
I'll go with honest and sexy.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Definitely in post. Editing is challenging. It's something I really want to learn more about. I'm really lucky to have found the help I needed in such a short amount of time. Thank you Noah!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It felt so validating to hear audience members taking away exactly what my intentions were when making the film. It was so nice to hear.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
That's a much longer and varied answer than I'm going to answer here but I can say that as early as 5 or 6 years old I would look at regular moments in life and think about how they should be scenes in movies.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
These questions make my brain hurt. I can never pick one... Can I just say John Hughes movies from the 80s? And Trust by Hal Hartley. And The Fifth Element.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
This has been an absolutely wonderful experience! I wouldn't change a thing.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway makes things very easy and I really appreciate the site.
10. What is your favorite meal?
More favorite questions... ugh. Is it terrible to say my favorite food is a delicious salad?! And crispy skinned salmon. And eggplant parm. But the two latter answers are eaten rarely nowadays, cuz, climate change.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am currently working as a challenge producer on a culinary competition show, have a short film I wrote and will direct in pre-production and working towards finding funding to direct my first feature with my producing partner, Liam's brilliantly written film.