JOY! BLUE MOON, 3min., USA, Animation
Directed by John Vollmer
Music and images intertwine for a joyful experience.
Interview with filmmaker John Vollmer
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I’ve heard music in my head my whole life and after hearing one repeat over and over I start to see images that match the music. But the images are not lyrics-driven, they are music-driven.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
PerspectX , led by Rex McDonald, took about 4 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Rex and his team were absolutely wonderful to work with. No obstacles at all.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Absolutely delighted that they “got” it.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I kept remembering more and more like this until I thought it could be a kids’ animation movie. I have dozens more.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Keep doing what you’re doing! It was an honor to be recognized and I hope some animation studio picks up on it.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Wonderful! Alison was great from the start.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m hoping to attract attention for a full-length film for kids. I have written descriptions for many more.