JERK, 7min., USA
Directed by Christopher Leon Price
When Roy's older brother Nick pays him a rare visit their attempts at reconnecting are stifled by Roy's new "occupation".
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
My previous short film entitled 'VISCOUS' came out in March 2020, right as the COVID-19 pandemic was beginning. This made promoting the film exceedingly difficult, and I was not able to achieve some of the success I was looking for with that project. By the end of 2021, I was getting the itch to make something new, both in form and fashion. My previous works have been largely in the thriller/horror genres, so writing and directing a comedy felt like an excellent way to develop my filmmaking skills, at-scale and with a budget that was feasible.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About 8 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Securing equipment, actors and crew.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Pleasantly surprised. Always a little awkward to hear others discuss your work, but the praise was certainly welcome.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
It happened in phases. I made home-movies throughout my childhood, with friends and family. In high school, I was introduced to 'John Carpenter's The Thing' and subsequently had my mind blown at what was possible with cinema. This was a big inspiration to me, and my hunger grew until I switched majors in my first year of college (from Journalism to Film). Haven't looked back since.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Three-way tie between 'Predator', 'John Carpenter's The Thing', and 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring'
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
More access to agents, managers and other representatives who are willing to work with us toward furthering our careers.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Painless and straightforward. FilmFreeway is a good site.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Sushi, with rice-beer as the beverage.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Promote 'Jerk' effectively in 2023 and write (a lot).