ISIS, 5min., Germany, Experimental
Directed by Annekatrin Meyers
After Osiris´ death Isis travels the entire country in search of her beloved's mortal remains. With her boundless love and her magic skills, she wants to overcome death and bring Osiris back to life for one night.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
"Isis" is a very personal project. After shooting many commercial films I really wanted to do something that would strongly portrait my own voice. The perception of motherhood and femininity in our society are topics I am firmly affected by. The Egyptian myth of "Isis and Osiris", with Isis as the mother of life and the its translation into modern times, proved to be a powerful way for me to negotiate those topics.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From the beginning of the casting until the final edit it took me half a year to finish the film.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
For a zero budget production like that it is always quite difficult to get good actors/models for free. I had to do a lot of persuasion work to get the right team together. That is also the reason why I had to do the camera work myself (I'm a director not a professional cinematographer). Another obstacle was the lack of time (which was also because of the budget). We had to shoot the whole film in ten hours. For a perfectionist like me that was pretty tough.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I started to cry ;-) It was very touching to see that the audience truly liked my film and had seriously considered it. And they really seem to get my point of telling this story. What more can a filmmaker ask for? Thank you so much!
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I always wanted to be active in the fine arts but actually more as painter. During my art studies I realised I also would like to tell stories with my work. And film is the best medium for me to do so.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Definitely „Gattaca" by Andrew Niccol. This movie is pure poetry on so many levels and my biggest inspiration.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
This direct feedback by the audience is already pretty amazing. Of course it would be great to get even more in touch with people of the business through various channels.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I think FIlmFreeway works pretty well. It makes submitting to a festival so easy and offers a great overview of all the film festivals out there.
10. What is your favorite meal?
That's a tough question.;-) There are so many delicious meals all over the world but I think I could never live without a „Brezen". That's the Bavarian (and even the original) version of the pretzel you have in the US.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes. I'm happy as can be when I get to make films. For the next project I would like to try something with old school special effects like stop motion ...